What are CEUs?
Continuing Education Units (CEUs) are formal credits that individuals can earn by participating in professional development activities. They were established in 1970 to create a quantifiable way to monitor ongoing education and training activities, such as industry conferences. At I/ITSEC, the University of Central Florida’s Division of Continuing Education administers the I/ITSEC CEU process and oversees the associated CEU testing. CEUs are offered for all tutorials, select papers, and all post-I/ITSEC Professional Development Workshops (i.e., “Friday Workshops ”). To receive CEU credit, a participant must attend a tutorial, paper session, and/or post-I/ITSEC professional development workshop and then (for papers and tutorials) complete the online exam associated with that event. Individuals receive CEU credits upon successful completion (70% or better) on each online exam, which available up to 10-days following the conference. (There are no exams for the Friday Workshops.)
Why earn CEUs at I/ITSEC?
“CEUs are a convenient and efficient way to keep track of my participation in professional development activities.”
• CEU credit reinforces your commitment to remain current in the evolving technologies relating to simulation and training, and some careers require you to demonstrate your up-to-date industry knowledge by earning annual CEUs.
• The CEU transcript indicates your active participation in the technical program of the conference to your employer.
• Previous attendees have indicated that CEUs have assisted them in securing approval to attend the conference.
Who may earn CEUs at I/ITSEC?
All paid conference registrants are eligible for CEU credit (at no additional charge); however, to earn CEUs you must attend the CEU-eligible conference activities and, in most cases, successfully complete the short, online exams associated with each CEU-earning event.
How do I earn CEUs at I/ITSEC?
1. REGISTER: Register as a paid conference registrant. This automatically triggers your eligibility for CEUs at no additional charge.
2. ATTEND: Attend one or more of the following CEU-eligible activities:
• TUTORIALS: All tutorials are CEU-eligible.
All conference participants may attend the tutorials; however, only paid conference registrants may earn CEUs for the tutorials. Tutorial CEUs are awarded upon successful completion of the online CEU exam associated with each tutorial.
• PAPERS: Select papers are CEU-eligible.
Paid conference registrants may attend any paper session, and select paper sessions are eligible for CEU credits. The CEU-eligible paper sessions are indicated in the conference program, where they are marked with a book symbol. For eligible paper sessions, CEUs are awarded upon successful completion of the online CEU exam associated with each paper.
• FRIDAY WORKSHOPS: All workshops are CEU-eligible.
The post-I/ITSEC Professional Development Workshops (or, less formally, “Friday Workshops”) are open to all conference attendees; however, only paid conference registrants may earn CEUs from the workshops. Also, for planning purposes, participants must register ahead of time to participate in the workshops. There are no exams for the workshops; once your attendance at a workshop is verified, you are eligible for CEU credit. (Click here for more information regarding the Friday Workshops.)
3. TEST: Within ten days of I/ITSEC, participants seeking CEU credit for tutorials or papers must complete an online exam. The short exam consists of four questions for each paper and ten for each tutorial. A score of 70% or better qualifies for CEU credit. There are no exams for the Friday Workshops.
4. TRANSCRIPT: At the successful completion of all requirements to earn CEUs (online exams, or attendance verification), participants will be granted access to print their CEU completion certificates. If CEU transcripts are needed, participants can request these directly by contacting our offices (see below). Ten contact hours equate to one CEU credit.
* * * * * * * * * * *
UCF Continuing Education
3280 Progress Drive, Suite 700
Orlando, FL 32826